The International Jury for the Iris Prize has been announced today by Iris Prize Patron Andrew Pierce. The Iris Prize, the world’s largest gay and lesbian short film prize, is part of the Iris Prize Festival which takes place from 6 – 9 October 2010 in Cardiff, Wales (UK).
“We’ve been very lucky over the years in securing an eclectic group of renowned and respected figures to join the Iris Prize jury and 2010 is no exception! The 14 individuals who make up the jury represent men and women at the top of their game. The mix of talents we have secured, including actors, directors and the Man Booker Prize winner Alan Hollighurst, will be essential for the difficult task of selecting the one film out of the shortlist of 30 to be crowned the Iris Prize winner 2010,” said Andrew Pierce.
“I would like to thank all the jury members for giving us their time and support and wish them all a great time in Cardiff,” he added.
“It’s an honour to chair the jury this year and I’m really looking forward to getting my teeth into the selection process. Having seen the calibre of my fellow jury members I feel confident that we will be more than capable of doing our job,” said Jury Chair Rebecca Matthews
“I’m also looking forward to spending some time at the festival for the first time. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Iris and her friends,” she added.
The jury members are:
* Adrian Armas – actor Violet Tendencies
* Rikki-Beadle Blair – actor, director, screenwriter, playwright, singer, aerobics teacher
* Richard Cline – journalist and film reviewer
* Dominic Treadwell-Collins – former EastEnders Story Producer, now head of Development at Lovely Day Productions
* Carol Coombes – programme consultant specialising in independent, foreign and LGBTQ films.
* Sue Jones Davies – actress, singer, yoga teacher and Town councillor.
* Nicholas Downs – actor Is It Just Me? Pearl Harbor, Constantine
* Lawrence Ferber – NYC-based arts and travel journalist/ filmmaker/ programmer
* Arwel Gruffydd – actor, director and Associate Director Sherman Cymru.
* Alan Hollinghurst – novelist The Swimming-Pool Library and The Line of Beauty.
* Doug Langway – producer, director and writer BearCity.
* Rebecca Matthews – Director British Council Wales and Chair of the Jury 2010
* Eldar Rapaport – winner Iris Prize 2009
* Abbe Robinson – winner Best UK Short Iris Prize 2007