Do you want more confidence in your life, including your sex life? GMFA, the gay men’s health charity, today announced the return of its ‘Building Your Confidence’ course, which will run in 12 cities across the UK this summer. On this one day course, you will learn practical skills to help build your confidence. It will help you talk to the men you like, say yes to the sex you want and no to the sex you don’t, and be in control of condom use to ensure sex is as safe as you want it to be.
The course has had a big impact on many of the men who have attended:
• “It’s made me more likely to get out there and not stay at home. I’m also more aware of the risks of HIV and STIs.”
• “I gained a great deal from the course and feel more confident and settled in my life and can act and deliver myself with confidence.”
• “It left me feeling more confident and assertive, especially with regards to my sex life.”
• “Opened my eyes to other possibilities and recognise my good points as positives, and build on them. I’ve been on my own now for 6 years and have needed to change. Attending the course has helped me develop a new outlook towards relationships.”
• “Many gay men have no positive role models of sexual and emotional maleness and these courses are… [an] introduction to how gay men can learn to be comfortably male, gay and sexual.”
• “It changed my life.”
The course will take a look at the different ways that confidence can affect our lives, in a fun and friendly group. You’ll learn about building your confidence in a variety of situations, whether with friends, at work or with sexual partners. Plus, there’ll be plenty of tips that you can put into action after the course, to make for a happier, more confident you.
GMFA has run the course nationally for the last two years. Throughout June 2010, GMFA will run the courses with trainers from local gay charities and healthcare services including: Armistead Project, The Eddystone Trust, The Lesbian and Gay Foundation, MESMAC North East, The Sheffield Centre for HIV & Sexual Health, Southampton Gay Community Health Service, Trade Sexual Health, Terrence Higgins Trust, and Yorkshire MESMAC.
Matthew Hodson, Head of Programmes at GMFA, says: “Confidence can have a huge impact on our lives. Perhaps where it can have the greatest impact is on the sex we have. Research has shown that men with higher self-confidence are more likely to stick to safer sex. Also, we know that having low self-esteem can lead to men putting themselves at risk. This course will give men the skills to protect themselves, and that they can apply in lots of areas of their lives.”
All of GMFA’s courses and workshops are free of charge to participants but places are limited and must be booked in advance. To book a place, go to www.gmfa.org.uk/national or call 020 7738 3712.
The ‘Building Your Confidence’ course takes place on a Saturday from 10am to 5pm. The dates for 2010 are:
12 June: Bradford, Leicester, London
19 June: Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester, Plymouth, Sheffield
26 June: Birmingham, Brighton, Newcastle, Southampton
GMFA’s national ‘Building Your Confidence’ course is funded by CHAPS.